Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Problem with low notes

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Problem with low notes

Postby reztes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 am

Hello,
I can't write low notes in the lowest staff with the point and click system.

For instance, in a brass quintet, I can't write lower than a E1 (with C3 being the middle C) in bass cleff in the tuba staff (but I can write lower in the trombone one which is very odd).

Notion 3 had this problem too.
reztes

Re: Problem with low notes

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:09 am

Yes. You have to enter a higher note, and then drag it down to where it should be.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby reztes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh, what a shame...

At least, when I put down the note in this way I can write the others ok. It's very strange but it works. I think this problem it's kind of a bug or something.
reztes

Postby elerouxx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am

Yeah, that's an old issue. It feels that the lower part of the staff isn't on scope for adding notes until you enter a the first one, per measure basis. It's a little annoying.
elerouxx

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:51 am

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I approach the problem by entering notes in a higher octave and hitting cntr down arrow to move them. Honestly, I think the note input is easier than trying to get to the correct ledger line or having to sort out which staff a note should belong to if low notes in one staff fight for space in high notes of another staff.
pcartwright

Postby thorrild » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Not a bug.

In Notion 4, Select Full Score Options... from the Score menu and press the More tab.
Change the staff spacing from the default 1 Space to something you like better.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 pm

If not a bug, certainly a poor design choice...

It only effects the bottom staff, which is most likely to be celli/DB. Having it grey out bellow D, one note away from the bottom of their range gives the impression that the function was designed by someone who knows nothing about music.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 pm

This is a rendering issue in the program. It does not allow you to enter the notes higher or lower in the staff at a certain cutoff point because the program has no way of knowing if you want to go low on the staff above, or high on the staff below.

Here are a couple of techniques that I recommend:

1. Shortcuts

Add a note to the staff, any note and then select it. You can use Shift + Command (CTRL PC) + Up/Down Arrow to jump an octave up or down. You can also select entire groups of notes by double clicking a measure and shift selecting. Then use the same Shortcut to transpose an octave up or down.

If you want to move the note around you can use the arrow keys to change it. If you hold Shift and use the arrow keys, you will then move the note by half steps. You can also scroll through the notes in a line by using the Left and Right Arrow keys.

2. Use Step Entry

Step Entry is by far the most efficient way in Notion to enter notes. Point click is always cumbersome in any program. Select your durations either by clicking in the palette, or using the keyboard shortcuts. Then press the note on your controller to add the note. There is no descrepancy in entry no matter where it is on the staff and entry goes very quickly once you get used to the method.

There will soon be some videos on the website demonstrating many of the Note-Entry Techniques that are available in Notion. Stay tuned and try to stay away from point and click. You will always be limited by that. Just a suggestion.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:12 pm

But, it's the bottom staff where this is most an issue. There is no staff bellow...
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Staves have a certain amount of rendered space that is available to them, and until you tell the staff to resize by going far enough down, there is no way the program can tell if you are trying to go below. Currently, this is as designed and has to be this way for page format options.

Did you try my suggestions?

-admin
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION