Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

dynamic markings / two voices sharing a staff

Discuss Tips, Tricks, & Shortcuts using NOTION Products

dynamic markings / two voices sharing a staff

Postby dridderk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi,

When using dynamic markings (pp, mf, etc...) below a staff, in the case of two voices sharing a staff, NOTION correctly interpretes these markings in playback and applies the dynamic marking to both voices. Also, when having two voices on the same staff, in case you want separate dynamics for each voice, this can be done by using separate dynamic markings above and below the staff, for the first resp. second voice. Again, NOTION produces correct dynamic levels at playback.

However, after using dynamic markings which are different for the first/second voice somewhere in a score, I can't find a way to return to a situation that both voices share again the same dynamic marking (below the staff), as in playback each voice will now only react to its 'own' marking (above the staff for first, and below staff for second voice).

Is there a way to force NOTION to return to a common dynamic marking for both voices?

Now my scores have many double dynamic markings, i.e., the same markings above and below the staff, which I would like to reduce to just the dynamic marking below the staff, and have the first voice also to react to that in playback.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Koen
dridderk

Re: dynamic markings / two voices sharing a staff

Postby Migot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:30 am

Koen,

Do not know if what you asked for is possible....

In the real world would be safe to put dynamic for both instrument in the score as well as in both part too.

So, the thing you can do into Notion to get the look you want,
is at least hidden the nuances that you not want to see.

Like this you'll have the best of both world, the right look and the playback effect !

Hope to help

Alain
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Re: dynamic markings / two voices sharing a staff

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:42 am

dridderk wrote:Hi,
However, after using dynamic markings which are different for the first/second voice somewhere in a score, I can't find a way to return to a situation that both voices share again the same dynamic marking (below the staff), as in playback each voice will now only react to its 'own' marking (above the staff for first, and below staff for second voice).

Is there a way to force NOTION to return to a common dynamic marking for both voices?

Koen

This does seem to be the case and in my opinion is a bug. Once two dynamic markings are entered for separate voices, it appears that you have to enter two dynamic marks (one above and one below the staff) for the rest of the piece or else they don't function properly. For singe voice compositions I have mistakenly added a second dynamic mark and then I either have to enter the second mark for the rest of the piece or go back carefully through the piece and edit the second markings out.

I've taken to Migot's suggestion of pretty much entering double marks whenever I have more than one voice per staff for the entire piece.

I don't like it but that seems to be the way it is.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to Tips & Tricks