Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Copy and Paste

Discuss Tips, Tricks, & Shortcuts using NOTION Products

Copy and Paste

Postby ryanhfox » Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm attempting to input a canon by copying and pasting. I'm trying to make part 2 a canon or part 1, 1 beat later; however, when I copy and paste, no matter where I put the cursor, it pastes at beat 1 of the measure. If I insert a rest on beat 1, then it pastes on beat 2 but puts all of the part 1, measure 1 notes into part 2, measure 1 (thus too many beats in the measure). Any ideas how to copy and paste in this manner?
ryanhfox

Re: Copy and Paste

Postby ben amato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 am

I'm just going crazy with the same stuff. It seems that sibelius is way ahead on this sort of editing, I'm afraid... Hoping that Notion will make things work better soon, also in terms of deleting or inserting sections of score.
Not enjoying the whole red note thing, I don't get the reasoning behind it... why should the user be left to clean up the extra notes, it's annoying. Love other things about notion, there's a lot of clean elegance about it, hoping it will keep evolving!
ben amato

Postby ben amato » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 am

just figured out the answer to your question, although it is finicky.... Before you paste anything, you have to be sure that you have the right amount of rests in your bar... for a half note rest, press h twice, etc. then paste in the missing notes for that bar only, and then after that paste the rest of the phrase starting from the following bar.
this illustrates how editing needs to be developed more, i think? But I would love to hear from Admin and be corrected on this....
ben amato

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:54 am

You probably won't be hearing from admin. I've been posting on issues like this for a couple of years and have finally given up.

How about copying and pasting multiple?
How about identifying measures to copy by typing in measure numbers instead of graphically selecting them (ever try to select 320 specific measures in a roll view? Yikes!)?
How about copying and pasting transposed?
How about copying and pasting inverted (in scale tone) and reversed (in time)?
How about copying and pasting to and from selected voices on a staff, without blowing all the voices away?
How about an edit special function that actually works (Try clearing accidentals in a selection. Sometimes yea, sometimes nay... I can't figure out the logic).

I love Notion. I love its ease of use, I love its graphic nature, I love how friendly it is (most of the time). But for serious music composition and editing, I really wish for improvements. Maybe they'll be coming with Presonus (although if you've noticed things have been extremely quiet on that front for a month or so...)

It's a great little program, so much prettier and easier and friendlier than Sibelius or Finale. It could be really fantastic.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to Tips & Tricks