Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

MTC Sync

Discuss Tips, Tricks, & Shortcuts using NOTION Products

MTC Sync

Postby pcartwright » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey all,

I found a way to sync Notion to other programs/devices with MIDI sync (Notion as host). All you need to do is download midiout (http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut) by IPH. This VST acts like an instrument when loaded into Notion (i.e. not an effect). Basically, the VST will transmit MTC data through an assignable MIDI output to another program or external device.

I've noticed that tempo changes can cause some issues, so you may want to review ways to toggle MTC sync on your auxiliary units if you need to change tempos.
pcartwright

Re: MTC Sync

Postby elerouxx » Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 am

Hi pcartwright! sorry for replying to an old post of yours. I was wondering if you had any success in syncing a video file to Notion playback using this vst plugin.
I don't own none of the 'big guys' like sonar, I use Notion for all my music, but my needs to create music for video is growing quickly.
elerouxx

Postby elerouxx » Wed May 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Couldn't get midiout to work right away. I downloaded a little app called 'midiclockdetect' but it doesn't get anything from Notion. The detector works for other apps tho.

I am using LoopBE1 virtual midi port set for output in the VST, I created a staff for the midiout vst and other staves with some music to play along. I am trying to control Sony Vegas (which I managed to do with another app which outputs MTC to vegas). I just seem to don't get output from notion via the plugin.

In the meantime I found a vsti that comes bundled with a project called Jeskola Buzz (http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/). The VSTi is a file called 'mediavst.dll' and allows to load a movie on top of notion (adding mediavst as an instrument). It works pretty well, I'd say. It synchs ok and plays the movie sound but can be muted.

I tried it with wmv and avi (dv compressed) files. Althought the video can be scaled to 25%, My guess is that it's best to convert the film to a smaller size and a lighter codec, or uncompressed, to work more efficiently than with cpu-hungry codecs.
elerouxx

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I don't usually look for updates in this part of the forum. My experience with this work around has been hit or miss... Mostly miss. I agree in that we need some sort on sync ability (smpte or mtc) to better work with video.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

elerouxx wrote:In the meantime I found a vsti that comes bundled with a project called Jeskola Buzz (http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/). The VSTi is a file called 'mediavst.dll' and allows to load a movie on top of notion (adding mediavst as an instrument). It works pretty well, I'd say. It synchs ok and plays the movie sound but can be muted.

I tried it with wmv and avi (dv compressed) files. Althought the video can be scaled to 25%, My guess is that it's best to convert the film to a smaller size and a lighter codec, or uncompressed, to work more efficiently than with cpu-hungry codecs.

Very cool!
pcartwright

Postby bencaty41 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 am

pcartwright wrote:Hey all,

I found a way to sync Notion to other programs/devices with MIDI sync (Notion as host). All you need to do is download midiout (http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut) by IPH. This VST acts like an instrument when loaded into Notion (i.e. not an effect). Basically, the VST will transmit MTC data through an assignable MIDI output to another program or external device.

I've noticed that tempo changes can cause some issues, so you may want to review ways to toggle MTC sync on your auxiliary units if you need to change tempos.

I realize it's been a few years, but this just came in handy for me. your download source did the thing much more easily. Thanks!
bencaty41

Postby elerouxx » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:38 pm

I decided to work seriously on my first video soundtrack!

I produce a lot of commercials but I never composed the soundtrack myself.

I managed to sync my rendered video using Media VST (I use the AVI (DV codec) and it works well but I think a smaller WMV is lighter)

The audio from the video is always in sync with the score but it is usually stuttered. The workaround is to import and attach separatedly an audio file in a part in Notion, then turn off the audio from the VST plugin. It's doesn't feel very pro but works pretty fine and it was easy.

But I wonder what have you guys been doing with MTC Sync. I could not use it properly with any of my applications. Do you mind sharing?

Hey, becaty41, I'd love you to explain what you accomplished with MIDI sync and how.
elerouxx

Postby SkylerShaye » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Open the Sync dialog and check: "MIDI Timecode Follows Project Time" in the MTC section on the left. This will work for playback of the external device (providing it has the ability to jump TC quickly). However, attempting to record on the external device is another matter, as it will probably shut Record off on the first loop go-'round.
SkylerShaye

Return to Tips & Tricks